[TriLUG] So here is a thought

Hrivnak, Michael via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jul 15 16:16:17 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 1:45 PM, karl flores <karl.americorp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The vehicle would be operated by each of the HAM operators on the path and
> would have "visual" on the device as it flies above the "tree tops" or
> "roof tops" where the antenna are set up. It also has a built in camera
> where the operator can maintain "visual".  I would think this project is
> still in the planning and testing stage until a device is developed that
> could fly a long distance. Once the device exists, then it would be a
> process of getting a permit to test the vehicle. I also like the idea that
> the HAM operators might be willing to work on this project.

Unfortunately, an on-board camera does not help from a regulatory
perspective. A person on the ground must be able to see it with unaided
vision at all times. Under the hobby regs (part 101), that person has to be
the operator. Under the more extensive part 107, which requires training
and certification, a visual observer can be designated who stays in
constant communication with a remote pilot in command. Even as the military
has gotten permission to start flying their drones in US civilian airspace
recently, despite all the surveillance technology they may have on-board,
the FAA still requires them to have a designated visual observer at all
times. You can search for "BVLOS" (Beyond Visual Line Of Sight) to read
about some of the first approvals happening to operate that way in civilian
airspace, but it's mostly happening outside the US.

I'm not a lawyer, nor an expert on these regulations, but I am a private
pilot. In general, airspace regulations for all flights not on an
instrument flight plan are built upon the basic responsibility that the
pilot in command must "see and avoid" any and all obstacles or hazards,
including other aircraft, weather, terrain, towers, buildings, etc. I
suspect that the FAA simply does not trust that you can do that effectively
with a simple camera mounted on your drone. If you had enough cameras and
the right setup on the operator's end that you could simulate the range of
vision an on-board pilot would have, then maybe you could apply for an
exception.

Michael