[TriLUG] FOSS voice assistant framework

Tim Jowers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Jul 18 10:22:46 EDT 2017

Hi,

Has anyone worked with a FOSS voice assistance framework?  I am not really
happy with Siri, Samsung, or Alexa from the developers perspective. I
imagine one could setup something with a raspberry pi DIY etc so people
could input voice and get back help.

To me, seems like a great opportunity for collaboration and also for FOSS
to provide revenue streams to developers. One issue with the big companies
is they tend to take over any good ideas and bundle them. ("bundling"
technique of market dominance)

Also not happy from the user's perspective as Alexa has exposed my 6 year
old and several neighbors repeatedly to curse words and no telling what
concepts. I called Amazon and they said they would work on it if they get
enough requests. At this point, had to disallow usage unless parents are
present. Samsung voice assistance is really weak, of course.

Been years since we touched on this stuff in college; so, let me know if
there is any formal collaboration on language modeling/ontology stuff, too.

Thanks in advance,
Tim