[TriLUG] Semi OT - phishing emails and spoofed domain links

ac via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 20 01:46:12 EDT 2017

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:12:48 -0400 (EDT)
Dewey Hylton via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> you really need to look at the source; a hover link can

You always need to look at the email source/headers :)

> > Yesterday I received a phishing email, one of a pattern where
> > someone is trying to gain credentials and possibly other

Depending on the IP number, your network and a number of things,
spoofing an IP number is not that easy anymore - and is semi easy to see.

The main thing you need to focus on is - where is the email being sent
from. (Which IP number - this is where you need to file a complaint at...)

Not the domain name, as the number of domain names are infinite.

The amount of IPv4 numbers are limited, even the amount of ipv6 number
are limited (is a huge number though)

You can check the reputation of the sending ip number, here:

 http://multirbl.valli.org/

hth

Andre