[TriLUG] Semi OT - phishing emails and spoofed domain links

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 20 16:23:30 EDT 2017

I posted the entire message, including the headers and HTML, as text on
that site.  Link here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/K0415Cma6bQM
oDEMsl8m/  Feel free to have a look.

Off hand, I don't see any obvious obfuscation in the link that it is
trying to get you to go to.  It does have some CSS and an ID associated
with it, but nothing looks obviously malicious in the CSS.

It just seems odd that an NS lookup of the domain resolves to something
other than that domain, as I indicated in the OP.

I do make use of various RBL services, which do have different focuses,
when it comes to my personal mail and along with a few other tactics,
they are very effective at eliminating almost all of the spam.  I agree
that when it comes to stopping spammers, that one of the tactics is to
report the relay system that they are using and I tend to report the
few that make it through my filters.

As these are not personal messages, but come into a work domain, I am
limited on my approaches.  Consequently, I've been trying to employ a
different approach: going after them on the back end by making it
harder for them to host the site where they will attempt to harvest
data.  As I said, I've had some success in getting these sites shut
down as the hosting providers seem to take this type of activity more
seriously than spam mail.  Undoubtedly it is a "cat and mouse" game and
I will grow bored with it eventually, but it is nice to cause them some
grief.

Edit to add: another coworker sent one, the body text of the message is
here, with a link to Weebly.com, which shut someone down for this last
week and now they started up with a different sub domain.  I didn't
include the header because it was forwarded to me and only has the
internal headers.  Link: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/sNUSB569te
JiJfT5H7TY/

This one does seem to resolve based on the nslookup and whois, unlike
the first one in this message.