[TriLUG] OT: Opinion about DNS service

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 4 12:13:48 EDT 2017

On 08/04/2017 11:44 AM, David Burton via TriLUG wrote:
> My recollection is that Spectrum/TWC and AT&T both give you a LOT more
> bandwidth for the price with residential service than with business class
> service.

True.

> No configurable rdns with residential, of course, but I wonder if Spectrum
> & AT&T are competent enough to provide that even with business-class.

No RDNS with business class either, unless maybe you pay for it.

> With Time-Warner, at least, you could keep the same IP address for many
> months, if your modem stayed powered-on. In fact, you'd usually keep it
> even through a modem power-cycle.

Also true.

What you haven't outright said is "why do you have business class?"
I'll answer that implied question now in two words:

Port blocking.

Commonly-abused ports (like 25) /might/ not be blocked at any moment
with residential class.  I can be /guaranteed/ they aren't blocked with
business class.

Now, the reality might be that, say, a Linode VPS is cheaper per year,
and that I could do everything I currently do physically in my house on
such a system.  But I like having the hardware in front of me.  I can
use and abuse it however I want and there's nobody to complain but me.

On the IPv6 front: Apparently it comes and goes.  A month or so ago it
was working; this past week it inexplicably stopped and I had to set up
tunneling again.

Oh, and the best thing about business class:  I call for support and get
a person that actually knows something.  Just the other day I called to
report an outage, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Yeah, I just lost connectivity to my remote site.  Can you check
stuff?"

Him: "I am showing your modem is offline.  Can you check the lights on
the front and cycle power?"

Me: "Nope, I'm not on site at the moment."

Him: "Well let me do a deeper check, hold on..."

...a couple minutes pass...

Him: "Huh.  Looks like 12 out of 13 business class modems in that sector
are offline.  Let me get our guys working on that."

I defy you to get that level of service on a residential contract.

-B