[TriLUG] Wireless AP recommendation

Aaron Joyner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 24 13:50:21 EDT 2017

Yep, running cable is the annoying bit.  :)

As for Regular vs Pro... I actually have a mix of both at my house.  I have
a couple of the original UAC-AP devices attached to the outside of my
house, attached to the eave on one side, and under the deck on the other.
These use passive POE and support 2.4 and 5Ghz... but only 802.11a/b/g/n.
That's plenty of connectivity for being in the yard, or down by the lake on
my phone, and they're dirt cheap (~$60 when I bought them).  They're cheap
enough that I keep a spare in the basement, so that if one goes bad I don't
need to wait to replace it.  Well, I suppose I still have the spare mostly
because they came in a pack of 3, and I've never had one go bad.

In the "core" of the house I also have two of the UAP-AC (the older square
model <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D80J2XU>).  They support
802.11ac, and this matters to me when I'm connected with my laptop and
trying to download that large file to my laptop before I go get on a plane;
I no longer feel compelled to hook up a physical cable to get more speed.
The 802.11ac network is almost always fast enough for my needs, and I only
really care about that speed if I'm indoors.  They also have the nice
advantage of having slightly fewer dependencies (no POE injector, they hang
directly off my core switch which supports POE), so they're a *little* less
likely to stop working when I really want them to.

The latest offerings have made some of that reasoning moot, because they
now all support 802.11ac... but note that the Pro model still supports
moderately higher throughput by virtue of 3x3 MIMO support... so some of
the same logic applies... but both the -Lite and -Pro are both sufficiently
fast that it makes less of a difference.  Note that a lot of people like
the AP-LR model, although I tend to prefer more APs, rather than longer
ranges from fewer APs... it's somewhat dependent on the topology.

Aaron S. Joyner