[TriLUG] Wireless AP recommendation

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Aug 26 17:36:50 EDT 2017

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017, Ron Kelley via TriLUG wrote:

> As for using a PoE switch, the following URL gives a good indication of power
> loss vs cable length:

My main worry with PoE is the length of ethernet cable involved. If it's not in
a Faraday cage (say it's under a shingled roof), during a lightning storm, there
will be large voltage spikes developed in the ethernet, which will fry the WAP.

I've only done one PoE installation but I put lightning protectors on both ends
of the ethernet cable. I don't know if this was needed.

I've had a USB web camera sitting in a window blow during a lightning storm just
from the 6' or so of USB cable to the WAP. The PS for the WAP blew at the same
time, although the WAP didn't.

Joe
jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml