[TriLUG] at&t fiber

Mark Sidell via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 6 12:55:51 EDT 2017

Another note on the modems...

ATT has two different modems that they'll install with fiber, the NVG599
and another one whose name I don't remember. When they first installed
fiber at my house, they gave me the other one. I discovered that it refused
to allow inbound ssh connections, something I need to access my servers.
ATT was unable to offer any solution except to swap the problem modem with
the NVG599. FWIW, I also found that configuring pass-through with the
NVG599 was less confusing than with the other modem.

Now, on to my afternoon project -- fixing the serious security
vulnerabilities in the NVG.

BTW, I've been happy with the fiber service. I have a business account with
5 fixed IPs, paying only a small premium over a residential account for the
IPs. The service is actually cheaper than my old copper uverse service.

Mark