[TriLUG] Net Neutrality again...

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 7 14:42:09 EDT 2017

The FCC's "net neutrality" rules are:

1. An example (one of many!) of executive overreach. In a representative
democracy, the Executive Branch is not supposed to making up laws, by
dictatorial fiat. National laws are *supposed* to be made by Congress,
which (at least theoretically) answers to The People.

2. Increasingly irrelevant, as bandwidth/capacity increases. We're long
past the fights over whether ISPs could block competitors' VoIP products.

3. A solution in search of a problem. Really, did you see anything get
better or worse when the FCC imposed its "net neutrality" rules in 2015?
What good did it do?

Theoretically, net neutrality rules could prevent ISPs from downgrading the
priority of packets from Vonage or porn sites, but the reality is that the
VoIP wars are over, and all the major ISPs (except Google?) are in the porn
distribution business themselves, anyhow, so that isn't likely to happen.

It is so typical of government to address yesterday's problems, instead of
tomorrow's. The FCC has built a Maginot Line, where the Panzers aren't
going.

The real problem isn't lack of neutrality toward bandwidth allocation by
ISPs. The real problem is lack of neutrality toward information flow,
through the new corporate information gatekeepers, like Google, Facebook &
Wikipedia. Viewpoint censorship by those giant corporate entities is
increasingly manipulating what you can find, and what you can learn.

Conservatives used to be very hopeful that the plethora of new information
sources would finally break the Left's long domination of the press. But as
information gatekeepers consolidate their market positions, what is
happening is that the Left's old censorship methods are simply being
replaced by new ones.

Liberals tend to take a very blasé attitude toward the problem, because it
isn't their ox being gored, since the major viewpoint censors are all
leftists.

That might prove to be shortsighted. I expect that, in the long run, those
corporations will prove to be more loyal to their bottom lines than their
ideology. So the liberals who celebrate the crushing of conservative
dissent may find themselves on the receiving end, as well, someday.

https://stream.org/lefts-campaign-against-conservative-speech/

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Conservatives-in-Tech-Say-They-re-More-Isolated-12173168.php

https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=10200248881692914&answer_id=10202976939492654

https://web.archive.org/web/20160113104052/http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100020515/climategate-the-corruption-of-wikipedia/