[TriLUG] at&t fiber

Mark Turner via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 8 10:58:27 EDT 2017

On 09/08/2017 10:37 AM, David Burton wrote:

> Mark, that's really interesting, but I'm a bit confused. (Note: I
> don't have AT&T currently, but they pulled fiber to my curb, so I'm
> interested.)

> [snip]

> Correct me if I'm wrong: the ONT is the fiber version of a NID,
> typically on the outside of the house, with fiber coming in and some
> sort of copper coming out. Right?

Yes, the ONT can live outside but it appears AT&T prefers to locate them
inside. Though they use an Alcatel model which is supposedly hardened
for extreme temperatures, I had problems with mine until it was swapped
out for an inside one.

The ONT has a gigabit RJ45 port which feeds the 5268AC's red RJ45 port.

[snip]
> And so in your email you're using the terms "AT&T router" and "AT&T
> modem" interchangeably? Right?

Yeah, since it's Ethernet to Ethernet it's not really a modem. Call it a
router.
> So... could you dispense with the gigabit switch entirely, and just
> unplug the Pace 5268AC from the ONT and plug your router (with cloned
> MAC address) in its place, after the authentication? Or would the
> momentary disconnection from the ONT trigger a reauthentication attempt?

When the ONT's link to the inside router goes down it won't come back
until the 802.1x auth is done again. Even for an instant. Thus the cheap
gigabit switch.

Mark