[TriLUG] Internet Neutrality

mver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 8 14:06:55 EDT 2017

...snipped....
On 2017-09-08 12:00, via TriLUG wrote:
> All of this was done over the objections of the 2 Republican FCC members
> Ajit Pai and Michael O'Reilly, who said something about freedom,
> investment, innovation, and using the 70 yr. old Telecommunications Act to
> regulate modern broadband.
Note: freedom, innovation, etc. are ALL frames; code words that carry
baggage (good and bad).
They resonate differently in each of us and they are used to affect our
judgement and reaction.

Underneath frames are values: yes freedom and liberty, but also
fairness, equality and community...
> Our own Senator Thom Tillis is now a Co-sponsor of the "Restoring Internet
> Freedom Act"
> https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/993
>
> _*... *_*_I don't know who the Act restores freedom for, but it appears to be
> for the ISPs. _*
> This legislation should be opposed in the STRONGEST POSSIBLE MANNER.
> I'm sick and tired of Congressional Acts whose titles are the *exact
> opposite* of what they actually do.
>
> Wes Garrison
Me TOO.
Do not fight undesirable frames by negating them; that just reinforces
them in people's minds.
Fight bad frames with our own preferred frames. In this case, it might
be INTERNET FAIRNESS, but you might have some others.
Remember, The internet does not exist in the absence of regulation and
government; it exists _because_ of those. They provide the very ground
of its being. Without a government to support contract law and access to
the internet spectrum there would be nothing but a wild west of would-be
players bopping each other. There is no market, free or otherwise unless
there is a government setting up the terms of the market. Well, you get
the idea. For more, check out George Lakoff or ask me, off line, for a
reading list.
Best, Mike Rulison