[TriLUG] Reclaiming inodes

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Sep 28 10:13:28 EDT 2017

On 09/28/2017 09:58 AM, Peter Neilson via TriLUG wrote:
> Sure looks like the fs somehow wasn't provisioned with enough inodes
> when it was created. My Ubuntu Trusty system has 58M of them, of which
> I'm using 2.4M. Make a better fs and copy to it, I guess.

# of inodes is typically proportional to size of the FS.  I don't have a
FS on my machine that is close in size to Thomas's, but I have some
larger and smaller which seem to fit the pattern:

FS size: 	inodes:
210 G		14 M
1.9 G		471 k
107 M		28 k

I'm fairly certain that inode allocation is tunable as a parameter to
mke2fs, if you have a situation where you really need to keep massive
numbers of small files.  Sounds like Thomas's found his culprit, though.