[TriLUG] Google Fiber

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 17 13:25:26 EDT 2017

Not sure why my emails leave as an http email and come back as a text email, but here is the link as text.

http://abc11.com/technology/google-fiber-in-the-triangle-fast-promises-few-realities/2524538/
    On Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 1:14:16 PM EDT, John Vaughters via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

 I am sure many of you feel just as defeated as me when it comes to finding info on Google Fiber progress. I just did a quick search and this article came up and it was the most informative info I have seen concerning the progress, or lack there of. For me, I am just a few miles away from one of the fiber huts mentioned as complete in the Raleigh section of the article. Due to the route between that hut and my house, I am not sure it translates to service for me just yet, but there is actually some hope now.
One thing that I found interesting but not surprising is in the Durham section listed below. AT&T is cleaning the clock of Google Fiber in Fiber laid and inspected. As I said, not surprising considering the advantage of AT&T's speciality in Fiber and ties with Gov, not to mention existing Right of Ways. Quite honestly Google is like a baby in this arena. Which is no longer a speculation on my part, but is actually a fact confirmed by a contractor that worked with Google Fiber since the start up and knows all of these people. He basically confirmed my belief that Google is just not prepared for this task. He completely agreed with my assessment that a software company delving into networking of this scale was a big challenge for Google. I also stand by my belief that Google doesn't really care if they are a leader in this market, as long as they raise the competition enough to raise overall bandwidth service. Based on the Durham information, a Google investment is leading to twice that from AT&T alone. This seems like a win-win for Google. However this does lead to a further speculation would lead me to believe that once Google gets the market up to a satisfactory level, they sell the entire fiber portfolio.

This is not a hit on Google, I greatly applaud them going after a much needed market competition. It's just the reality of the situation. I also could care less which fiber gets to my house first, as long as I can completely cut the cable on Spectrum, which I have been paying for about 18 years. They have been that best I can get and they have improved greatly. They are just not meeting my idea of a cost effective service in the face of the coming options. Hence the praise on the need for better competition that Google recognized.

Goooooooooooo Gooooooooogle!!!!! Build that Fiber, so someone can get great low cost service to my house.
~John Vaughters

Durham Info:

Miles Permitted/Inspected to Date

  - Google Permitted = 438 miles / Google Inspected = 192 miles

  - AT&T Permitted = 798 miles / AT&T inspected = 790 miles

Google Fiber in the Triangle: Fast promises, few realities

|  |  |

|  |
Google Fiber in the Triangle: Fast promises, few realities

jon camp, iteam, i-team, abc11 reporters

Promised blazing-fast connections with Google Fiber, Triangle cities and towns report mixed success with getting...

--
This message was sent to: John Vaughters <jvaughters04 at yahoo.com>