[TriLUG] Meeting: November 9, Lightning Talks

Brian Gerard via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Nov 9 14:13:55 EST 2017

Topic:     Lightning Talks
Presenter: You!
When:      Thursday, 9 November 2017 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Where:     NCSU College of Textiles, 1020 Main Campus Dr., Room 2207
Parking:   Underground parking deck immediately adjacent to the building
            (see map).

A note on finding the room:  The map link below has two icons on it, a white
"P" in a blue circle (near the bottom, center), and a white star in a blue
circle (near the top, center).  The P is the parking entrance, and the star
is where the actual meeting room is located.  We'll post signs, but hopefully
that will help everybody find the spot.  :)

Please note that since we're back on the NCSU campus, we need to start
the pizza early so we don't have any food or drink in the meeting room.
Munchies start at 6:45!

Links:
	Map:    https://goo.gl/SNVQgZ
	Page:   https://trilug.org/2017-11-09/lightning-talks
	Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/trilug/events/244740676/

We have a lot of really talented members, who do a lot of really interesting
things. Come on down and share some of those things with your fellow members!
Let us see your hobby hacks, your nifty shell incantations, or the latest tricks
you've managed to make your Raspberry Pi or Arduino do. This doesn't have to be
long - a few minutes is more than sufficient.

Note that this could also be a nice way to introduce whatever demo you plan to
bring to the December Holiday Social - whet the appetite for more, as it were.

The Sign-Up Form is still up and ready for entries:

	https://goo.gl/forms/zbxgcgHQkX36yAiY2

Last-minute additions welcome!  :)

Our current slate:

     Presenter: Brian Gerard
     Topic: Creating a Self-Installing Package
     Summary:I'll show a method for creating a self-installing package out of a
git repo using gmake and a little scripting glue. While it's more a neat trick
than a best practice, it has come in handy at work as a stopgap while we get
more battle-hardened solutions in place.

     Presenter: Michael Hrivnak
     Topic: The Lounge IRC client
     Summary:The Lounge is a web-based IRC client, and I love using it.

     Presenter: Bill Farrow
     Topic: Building Debian packages for ARM with Docker and QEMU
embedded system is not fun. Cross compiling is messy and complicated. Using the
superpowers of Docker and QEMU you can build those packages on your screaming 16
core x86_64 desktop in no time at all.

     Presenter: Barry Peddycord III
     Topic: Mastodon: The OSS Alternative to Twitter
GNU Social protocol for microblogging.

     Presenter: Dwain Sims
     Topic: Rapidly Changing Storage Formats
of storage form factors, and make some predictions!