[TriLUG] Goodbye Spectrum

Steve Kuekes via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Nov 19 09:43:42 EST 2017

I finally said goodbye to Spectrum after 25 years.  They kept raising my
fees every year and after calling a few months ago they said there was
no way to lower them (even though for new customers they advertise much
lower rates, I guess as a long time customer I didn't qualify for them).

AT&T had installed fiber in my neighborhood and it was finally ready.  I
ordered their gigabit service on Monday last week and the install was
scheduled for wednesday the same week.  Technician arrived on schedule
and had my new fiber installed in 3 hours (they had to run fiber down
the street and to my house).

Speed test over a wired connection showed 875mb download and 935mb upload.

I was worried how I was going to connect my router since I use Linux
with iptables for my router and run my own mail server and VOIP server.
I had heard that the AT&T router did not have bridge mode, which I had
been using with Spectrum.  My AT&T Modem/Router is a model BGW210 and
after googling I found it has a "passthrough" mode.  This works just
like bridge mode.  I entered in the MAC address of my server and
unplugged from Spectrum and connected to my AT&T router.  I had my
server request a DHCP address and everything worked.  I updated my DDNS
entry for my home server and SUPER FAST.

This was very easy.

FYI for my TV I switched to Sling TV (I got the Blue package, plus cloud
based DVR) with a Roku box.  I think I get better quality video and I'm
saving over $60 per month with AT&T + Sling versus Spectrum internet and TV.

Steve

--
Steve Kuekes

Fisherman: 2007 Sea Fox 225 Bay Fisher