[TriLUG] Goodbye Spectrum

Wes Garrison via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Nov 19 17:46:40 EST 2017

>From our thread in early September:

...the passthrough mode on the NVG589 and 599 is not a true bridge mode,
and still uses the NAT table on router.

The NAT table on these have artificially low limits (2560 sessions, I
think), so if you run a lot of services or have multiple devices using
multiple services you can easily max out the device.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28967809-NEW-U-verse-
Gateway-Motorola-NVG599-WIRELESS-AC-AC1600~start=60

It looks like the BGW210 still has this NAT table limitation, but it is
8192 sessions instead of 2560, so that should be better.

Let us know if you notice latency or buffering issues.  My brother-in-law
in Briar Chapel had much more buffering with AT&T Gigapower than he does
with Spectrum.

It's a shame they have to use these PON networks and can't run true
Ethernet to the home.  Ethernet can be run on a single fiber strand
nowadays, using different wavelengths, but the PON networks split the fiber
at an upstream node.

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."