[TriLUG] sshd configuration woes

Paul Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Nov 23 15:52:42 EST 2017

The

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 15:12:29 -0500
Aaron Joyner <aaron at joyner.ws> wrote:
> Based on your description, I suspect your .ssh/ directory has the
> wrong permissions, I believe it has to be 700 and
> the .ssh/authorized_keys* file needs to be 600 or similar.  Check the
> sshd_config man page to be sure. You can confirm this by inspecting
> the sshd logs,  though you might have to launch it in debug mode to
> see enough logging to be sure.

I looked at the file permissions and all seems to be order (700
for .ssh/ and 600 for authorized_keys, (and 644 for known_hosts)).  One
difference between my old configuration and the new configuration is
that the old setup used RSAAuthentication, which seems to have been
deprecated in the current sshd version included in CENTOS 7.

So, maybe this is a dumb (or naive) question:  In the old
configuration, we were using 2048 bit RSA keys with RSAAuthentication
turned on.  With the deprecation of RSAAuthentication, should we be
using some other type of key rather than an RSA key?  Making all the
users generate new keys wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The man pages differentiate between rsa1 (used for Protocol 1) and rsa
which is (presumably) used with Protocol 2.  I'm pretty sure my old
setup was using Protocol 2, but it was originally setup in 2012).
Could it be that the rsa keys we have been using are really rsa1 keys
and the problem is there?

I should note I still have one OpenSuSE box running sshd and the public
key authentication works fine on that.

Paul