[TriLUG] Tonight! Low Tech Audio Engineering at the TriLUG Holiday Social

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 14 11:36:09 EST 2017

Hey folks! A few years back I brought stereo equipment to the TriLUG
Holiday Social to promote awareness of Creative Commons music. I will be
back this year with a new twist.

I am bringing speakers, an amp, and as many 4”x8”x16” concrete blocks as I
can physically manage with my minivan. But WHY???

1. So we will have music.

2. They say exercise is good for your health.

3. Interactive low tech audio engineering experimentation.

4. Enable would be event organizers to deliver big sound on a tiny budget.

5. Playing with blocks is fun. They can be infinitely repurposed.

Search these terms via Google Images and you will get an idea of what can
be done:

-Tapped Horn Subwoofer Enclosure Design

-Transmission Line Enclosure Design

-Horn Loaded Speaker Design

-Horn Theory

-Folded Horn Speaker Design

-Danley Sound Labs

-Tom Danley Tapped Horn

-The Matterhorn military weapon

-Funktion One Speakers Tony Andrews

- hornresp calculator

A few decades ago, concerts were performed in stadiums with amps that only
produced about 10 watts. To compensate for the low power amps, speaker
enclosures had to be huge horns. Sealed enclosures are about 1% efficient
vs horn enclosures are about 30% efficient.

Tony Andrews has been around for a long time and set up audio for bands
like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and Pink Floyd. Today his company
Funktion-One provides the audio for most EDM festivals.

Tom Danley of Danley Sound Labs has become a reputable competitor in this
field as well and their cabinets are built in NC. Tom is well known for the
Tapped Horn design as well as the military weapon horn speaker… The
MATTERHORN.

Both prominent companies use horn enclosure design in their speakers.

Come on out if you are any of these:

-good at math

-audio enthusiast

-event organizer

-strong and can carry concrete blocks

-have Creative Commons licensed music to share

-musician

-or any other of the countless great reasons to attend the TriLUG Holiday
Social!

I may have a laptop set up with open source audio software to demo as well.

See you there

Jeremy Davis