[TriLUG] ant-harassment reminder [Was: Intel bug in the news today]

Cristóbal Palmer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 5 14:53:29 EST 2018

Hi all,

Suggesting another list member leave the country as part of an argument
is not okay, especially using particular countries as negative examples,
since some list members may be from those countries and feel unwelcome
here after such a post.

Please review the anti-harassment policy available here:
https://trilug.org/anti-harassment

In relevant part: "Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related
to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, physical
appearance, body size, race, religion, country of origin, age, or
technical background."

Please take a step back and ask yourself if a real policy or technical
discussion is taking place, and to what extent you are contributing in a
positive and inclusive manner. Maybe walk away for 15 minutes and
re-draft your message before posting to the list if you can't answer
that with confidence.

I hope everyone here feels welcome to both read and contribute to this
list, and I want to specifically invite list members from Cuba or
Venezuela to participate more actively either here or in-person, and
note that I (and others who may not have spoken up) welcome more diverse
inputs from people of diverse backgrounds because we know we get better
results and learn more when we get that input.

Thanks,
CMP