[TriLUG] Strange lockups on Fedora

Dwain Sims via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 26 12:19:16 EST 2018

> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Strange lockups on Fedora
> Yes, I’ve seen this happen with the New Firefox as well on F27.  Either
> updates to FF or updates to F27 fixed it for me.
> Matt P.

I have seen this same behavior with the  "Web Content" process and the
whole lockup business.  Can happen out of the blue, but more likely over
the course of time.  It behaves like FF is leaking memory badly, and at
some point it gushes out.

I was a little concerned that this was a hardware issue, but you folks
seeing it as well gives me more confidence that this is a software bug.

I upgraded Mint from 18.1 to 18.3, and the incidents of this happening have
diminished greatly, but not totally.  (I think I have had one lockup since
the upgrade.)

In one case I was able to kill FF when it started to go off the rails and
that righted the ship, so to speak.

Maybe what I should do is stick with Chrome and Opera and see if this goes
away completely.

Dwain