[TriLUG] Linux Software RAID experience

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 14 12:00:20 EST 2018

Greetings all,

<hopefully not a duplicate post>

Looking for some feedback with Linux software RAID.  I have a couple of
servers in a lights-out facility running LSI RAID controllers (2208
chips) that have been working great for a long time.  Recently, we
decided to switch out spinning disks for SSDs (8x Samsung 1TB in
RAID-5).  After getting the RAID volume rebuilt, I noticed slow write
speeds (about 500MB/secs).  I was expecting at least 1,500MB/secs writes
given we have 8x SSDs.  No amount of tuning/tweaking the RAID controller
seems to make a difference.

At this point, I can either purchase better/faster RAID controller
($500-$700) or switch over to Linux software RAID.  My past experience
with mdadm left me a little disappointed.  The RAID rebuild times were
slow and drive swaps were klunky (even after setting speed_limit_min and
speed_limit_max settings).  At one point, the build/rebuild speeds
seemed to cap out around 250MB/sec - even with SSDs.

I know mdadm has been around for a very long time, but I am looking for
some recent usage using mdadm on systems with SSDs.  What tool do you
use (Rockstor, FreeNAS, etc) to manage the RAID array and what kind of
performance do you get?  How "turn-key" is it to recover data or replace
drives?

At the end of the day, I need a turn-key RAID solution - easy enough
that someone can walk into the facility and replace a faulty drive w/out
having to dive into a CLI or use a management tool.

Thanks,

-Ron