[TriLUG] To CAcert or Not To CAcert?

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 15 13:14:30 EDT 2018

My $0.02:

SSL has two primary, orthogonal functions:
1) Keep outsiders from listening in on our conversation
2) Assure one or both of us that the other is who they claim to be

Certificates are most important in part (2), though common SSL setups require a certificate to exist even to do part (1).  Let's Encrypt facilitates part (1), but by offering "an X.509 Certificate for 'free' to anyone," does little or nothing to uphold part (2).  CACert's value is in being a noncommercial broker of part (2).

That's my understanding, at least.

-The "other other" Brian