[TriLUG] Preview of new TriLUG website

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 9 21:41:31 EDT 2018

At 17:33 -0400 09 Apr 2018, Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>If you want it to be read comfortably by people with bad vision, a few
>changes would be good:
>
>1) You hard code a font size, overriding the settings the reader has
>   set for his browser to match his visual acuity. The font is a little
>   small. I will say this though: The font is so sharp it looks like it
>   was etched with a diamond cutter,  and that *does* to an extent help
>   readability.

I think I've successfully overridden bootstrap's ignoring of the browser
font size. I agree, that is quite annoying.

>2) Too little contrast between darkgray foreground text and lightgray
>   background. If you want this easily read by people with poor visual
>   acuity, I'd recommend making the text #000000 and the background a
>   fair amount lighter.

I've adjusted the background to be lighter, and the text to be darker.
But, haven't quite gone all the way to either black or white.

>3) The top menu has a serious contrast problem. Its normal color should
>   be its current hover color, and its new hover color should be either
>   a real color (perhaps yellow) or reverse video. I think both these
>   things are pretty easy to do.

Yes, the original normal color for the text on the navbar did have poor
contrast. I've adjusted that to be the same color as the normal
background color for the site, and a blue for the hover color.

>This isn't some snowflake griping about aesthetics. This determines how
>long people with bad vision will spend with the site before visual
>fatigue makes them go elsewhere.

Thank you for the detailed feedback.