[TriLUG] Preview of new TriLUG website

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Apr 17 01:06:12 EDT 2018

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 21:41:31 -0400
Aaron Schrab via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> At 17:33 -0400 09 Apr 2018, Steve Litt via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
> wrote:
> >If you want it to be read comfortably by people with bad vision, a
> >few changes would be good:
> >
> >1) You hard code a font size, overriding the settings the reader has
> >   set for his browser to match his visual acuity. The font is a
> > little small. I will say this though: The font is so sharp it looks
> > like it was etched with a diamond cutter,  and that *does* to an
> > extent help readability.
>
> I think I've successfully overridden bootstrap's ignoring of the
> browser font size. I agree, that is quite annoying.

Very nice. Very readable.

> >2) Too little contrast between darkgray foreground text and lightgray
> >   background. If you want this easily read by people with poor
> > visual acuity, I'd recommend making the text #000000 and the
> > background a fair amount lighter.
>
> I've adjusted the background to be lighter, and the text to be
> darker. But, haven't quite gone all the way to either black or white.

Much, much better.

> >3) The top menu has a serious contrast problem. Its normal color
> >should
> >   be its current hover color, and its new hover color should be
> > either a real color (perhaps yellow) or reverse video. I think both
> > these things are pretty easy to do.
>
> Yes, the original normal color for the text on the navbar did have
> poor contrast. I've adjusted that to be the same color as the normal
> background color for the site, and a blue for the hover color.

Very nice, very readable. I personally would have made the hover
blazing yellow, but probably a lot of people would hate that. The blue
is just fine.

This site is now something I could read for hours. I thank you, and
millions of others do too.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist