[TriLUG] Need Grub help

Paul Boyle via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 1 18:02:06 EDT 2018

Hi,

I had the hard drive which contains the OS and distro (CENTOS 7) on one
of my student workstations fail (a hardware failure). /home is on a
separate drive which is OK. I was able to clone the image of the drive
to another hard drive (partitions look OK from gdisk). The cloned
partitions can be mounted via a harness on another Linux box.

The layout of the disk is:
/dev/sda1 -> /boot/efi (msdos(?))
/dev/sda2 -> /boot (ext4)
/dev/sda3 -> / (ext4)
/dev/sda4 -> Linux swap

I put the cloned drive into the PC. and when I try to boot I get an
error saying

"Reboot and select proper boot device
or Insert Boot media into selected boot device and press a key".

I'm thinking I need to run GRUB2 to make the system boot from new hard
drive.  However, I am befuddled by GRUB2.  Can someone suggest a
sensible course of action?

I'm thinking  putting a original CENTOS install DVD and
choosing the rescue option.  However, I don't know really what to do
after that.

Any help appreciated.

Reason to break out the world's smallest violins:  I'm scheduled to
start my vacation tomorrow and I would love to get this sorted out this
evening.

Thanks,

Paul

--