[TriLUG] Fedora Respin (i386/i686)

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed May 2 12:37:07 EDT 2018

On 05/02/2018 12:04 PM, Brian Weaver via TriLUG wrote:
> So I know Fedora Core 27/28 is only built for x86_64 now. Does anyone have
> any good idea of the level of difficulty that would be required to "respin"
> an i386/i686 version.
>
> I know it's probably not worth the effort, if even possible. However I have
> some old hardware and acquiring new hardware is, well, not bloody likely.
>
> Thanks

Another Brian!  We are legion.

Anyway, your path of least pain is probably to find installation images
for a release which still supports x86.  I'm almost certain your time is
worth more than what you'd be willing to spend recompiling absolutely
everything for 32 bits (not to mention the bits and pieces that simply
won't compile in 32 bits).

Generally dropping 32-bit support means the source code itself is shaped
in such a way as to require 64-bit architecture, so trying to recompile
for 32 bits would be a fool's errand (otherwise the maintainers would
still build a 32-bit version).

Good luck!
-Brian