[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Ken M via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 10 20:45:03 EDT 2018

I will share an interesting though related to all this. So last week I picked up
a use Lenovo T440. Nothing special but I needed something other than just my
chromebook+debian sid/croouton install for some mobile dev tasks. Some might
remember me as the guy a while back who did the xmas demo with the real time soft
synths from a chromebook/crouton install.

Anyway so I brought the laptop home, first round did an OpenBSD install, never
used it before other than a VM here and there recently so said why not. Seamless
x install, everything works but tap to click (quick wscons change) and suspend
resume. Posted to misc at openbsd and within an hour I get a reply from Theo
himself, disable TPM and the fingerprint reader in the BIOS. Sure enough I do
that and suspend and resume work great. I have spent almost 20 years using Linux
and never spoke to Linus, maybe that is good thing.

Anyway next I did a FreeBSD install with ZFS root. Pretty much easy, but more
snags to figure out post install. At least I already had more FreeBSD experience
so no big deal.

The this morning I say what the heck throw Fedora 28 on it before I upgrade my
Fedora 27 desktop in place. Easy, fast, everything works like that.

The point is it is amazing to me how EASY linux has gotten since I started. I
remember 20 floppies to install Debian on an old 386 (literally 386) to build a
print server. Those 20 floppies for me a CLI, the end. I remember the days of
fighting with ndiswrapper and wifi cards.

Anyway it is just an interesting note to me that most of these things are so
much better these days where Linux is a viable desktop for more than just those
who like to tinker. Granted it still does help to choose better supported
hardware, but still.

Sorry I guess this is little off topic, but it got me thinking about years ago
closing the lid on my Mepis laptop was a one way ticket to hard reset...

Ken