[TriLUG] Speaking of Technology

Andy Random via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri May 11 00:41:36 EDT 2018

On Thu, 10 May 2018, Bill Farrow via TriLUG wrote:

> I can just shut the lid on my Lenovo x220 running Kubuntu and it
> suspends to RAM. Opening the lid wakes it up again.

I recently installed Ubuntu Mate (18.04) on a Lenovo X201 and have the
same experience, it just works when I close the lid and restores fine
later.

I've also got an old Acer netbook (circa 2009) with Lubuntu (14.04) on it
where closing the lid doesn't work but suspending from the menu and
restore works fine.

However on my Lenovo T400 running Mint Mate I see the same problem
described earlier, suspend seems to work fine (either from the menu or by
closing the lid), but I've never worked out how to restore after the
suspend.

The conclusion that I draw from this is that it is probably isn't hardware
or distro age related, but just a mater of getting the configuration
right.

And possibly controversially Ubuntu seems to do that better "out the box"
than other distros I've tried.

   Andy