[TriLUG] IPTables - disable NAT for a specific source/destination

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jun 6 09:14:28 EDT 2018

I think there may be some confusion of terms going on here.

A "firewall" decides what packets to allow through or not.
A "router" handles modifying envelope data to get packets along to the next hop.

NAT is a routing function.  iptables does both firewalling and routing.

Perhaps Huan is guessing your intent correctly (a DMZ), but that's not what I'm getting from your description.

Can you describe the intent some more, perhaps give an example situation where NAT is not what you want?

Cheers,
-Brian