[TriLUG] Why the message size limit? [Was: Your message to TriLUG awaits moderator approval]

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jun 8 01:22:55 EDT 2018

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 16:00:52 -0400
Brian via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> OTOH, how about simply raising the limit to 50 kB?  50 kB is chump
> change in today's world, and would probably permanently eliminate the
> "I actually typed too much" moderation scenario.

Sean Korb was right that many rural people still have dialup. I had
dialup far longer than most, and remember it well. Huge emails would
stop my work for several minutes as they downloaded. But I'm talking
huge as in > 100K. 50K emails didn't inconvenience me too much.

I think 50K is reasonable. It doesn't mean *every* email would
be 50K: Very few would. And of 50K would significantly lessen the
frustration of posters, why not? I think 50K would be the perfect
limit, and would probably end this discussion.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28