[TriLUG] Smallest Linux Live CD I can boot and run via PXE

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Aug 12 23:18:35 EDT 2018

Thanks Roger - very helpful!  I will try Porteus as soon as I can.

As an aside, I found the following web link that shows how to create a CentOS7 run-from-ram image:
http://www.espenbraastad.no/posts/centos-7-rootfs-on-tmpfs/

This is very similar to what I need - albeit the base install takes over 1GB RAM.  I was able to get both a CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 18 image running directly from my PXE server.  My next task is to strip down CentOS7 to the bare minimum, install a minimal desktop (XFCE), and rebuild the image.

Thanks everyone - especially on a Sunday!

-Ron