[TriLUG] ROI moving gov to Linux?

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 5 12:54:30 EDT 2018

Tim,

You would be fighting a lonely, uphill battle against entrenched forces. People don't like change and prefer to stick with the familiar. Some governments made the (enlightened) switch to Linux on Europe, e.g., Munich. Last I read, they are moving towards regressing to Micro$oft.

Curiously, some U.S. government agencies use FOSS, such as some congressional web sites and the Whitehouse under the previous administration. To save money. That is likely to be an easier path to take.

Some U.S. libraries have embraced Linux.

Schools: if you were involved there, setting up a computer science program involving Linux development might be a good idea, latching on to the computer science wagon.

Linux IS the world's most used, and invisible, OS: think embedded and Macs - under the hood.

Good luck on your run but don't base it on trying to convert the gov. to Linux. Saving money IS a good hook.

-- Roger Broseus
Pls excuse auto-correction induzed tiepos.