[TriLUG] hiring linux admins

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 12 01:50:44 EDT 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 12:33:33 -0400
Kolanthia Gail Edmondson via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I am in desperate need of a job. My Unix skills are not as strong as
> they once were. I have applied. I would like to be in a setting like
> this where I can grow. My apologies if this goes to everyone.

Kolanthia,

Please do me 3 favors...

1) Never again say you're desperate for a job. I guarantee you that
   doesn't make you more desirable. If you're really desperate, just be
   accommodating in salary negotiations, but don't tell anyone of your
   desperation upfront.

2) Never again say you're not strong on any skillset. What you consider
   "not strong" might be considered "great, knowledgeable candidate" by
   an employer. Let the employer make the determination of your
   strength. Don't forget, in the current economy, employers who really
   want to fill a job cannot insist on 20 years of Javascript with
   Oracle and UMENU.

3) Don't apologize for something and then do it anyway. Truth be told,
   it would have been fine if it went to everyone, IF you had shown
   yourself in a better light. That way, hundreds of people would have
   known you were available.

Everyone: If you need a Linux admin, give some consideration to
Kolanthia. She obviously needs to improve her job market networking
skills and improve her self-confidence, but that in no way means she
wouldn't be a great Linux admin.

By the way, according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect , it's
entirely possible that she's actually quite skilled but, like many
skilled people, underestimates her qualifications.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz