[TriLUG] hiring linux admins - Dunning–Kruger effect

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 12 14:56:04 EDT 2018

Not to detract from the advice given earlier...

> By the way, according to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect , it's
> entirely possible that she's actually quite skilled but, like many
> skilled people, underestimates her qualifications.

Actually, the Dunning Kruger effect says quite the opposite... it
basically
says that you're the last person to notice that you really don't have
the
talent or ability that you think you have.  :-)

     In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a
     cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory
     superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as
     greater than it is.

A perfect example of this someone who demonstrates this effect is the
boss,
Michael Scott, from "The Office".  Other examples often cited include
the
occasional obviously-bad contestants on talent shows like "America's
Got
Talent" or "American Idol".

I think all of these cognitive biases are fascinating (but I have a
hard
time remembering them).  If you'd like to hear a good discussion of
many
more like this, check out the You Are Not So Smart podcast.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/podcast/

I think the one that's more suitable to the earlier discussion might be
the
Impostor Syndrome.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Then again, maybe I am demonstrating the Dunning-Kruger effect right
now,
and I'm the only one on this list that does not recognize that I am
full
of crap.  Hrm... things really make a lot more sense if I consider
that.

Alan