[TriLUG] Router recommendations

David Burton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 13 11:07:24 EDT 2018

To test under load, get out your pocket knife and slice away some
insulation from the two wires, to get access with your voltmeter or
oscilloscope. (Ugly, but you're probably about to discard it anyhow, so who
cares?) Then plug it back into the router, and see what happens to the
voltage.

However, a voltmeter is probably insufficient. There's a good chance your
power adapter is putting out some kind of flickering hash, which might fool
the voltmeter.  Best to just try your router with a known-good power
adapter, if you can.

First, get out your jeweler's loupe or magnifying glass app, and read the
microscopic print on the old power adapter, and find out what the output is
*supposed* to be. (12V 1A is a pretty typical.)

Then see if you have something around that you borrow the adapter from,
with the same voltage, and the same or higher current rating. Your modem
might have one. Also, a lot of external HDD enclosures use 12v 2A adapters,
and the same plug size as a lot of routers.

Dave