[TriLUG] Router question: What's the feature called, in which a router port-forwards LAN traffic as if it were WAN traffic

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Oct 13 15:21:23 EDT 2018

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Michael Marley via TriLUG wrote:

> That feature is called Hairpin NAT
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hairpinning).  As far as which routers support
> all those features, I would highly recommend looking at OpenWRT, which runs on
> many routers (including yours, I think), is updated much more regularly and
> for much longer than most vendor firmwares, and supports all those features.

The linux kernel doesn't care which nic the packets come in on (at least for the
2.4 kernels, which is the last time I looked), so a packet to 50.x.x.x will be
port forwarded whether it comes in on the WAN or the LAN.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml