[TriLUG] Router recommendations

John Franklin via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 15 16:19:16 EDT 2018

I won’t say a bad word about Ubiquiti.  I haven’t had an opportunity to use their edge routers, but I have used their APs, which are excellent.

I will put in a good word about pfSense.  It’s essentially FreeBSD preconfigured to be an edge router with a nice web interface and a collection of add-on packages.  Supports all the NAT and fir walling you’d expect from a router, plus NTP, DHCP(v6), DNS, and VPN (OpenVPN and IPSec) out of the box. Snort is in the packages library and can be installed with a couple clicks.  (Learning how to use Snort takes a bit more effort.)

I’m running it here at home on a Protectli FW4B, essentially a barebones PC with four Intel GigE ports and a CPU that supports AES-NI.  There is no fan, the case is one giant heatsink.  If you’ve got some spare DDR3L-1600 and an SSD lying around, you can get the barebones hardware for $250.  A two-port version is about $50 cheaper.  I don’t recommend the WiFi kit for this box, as an external AP will provide much better service.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org