[TriLUG] Gnome keyring error in Ubuntu 18.04 after reboot

Zihao Li via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Oct 17 13:56:22 EDT 2018

I have an ubuntu 18.04 host that is configured to use campus kerberos
auth[1], and since my campus forces password rotation on a schedule, AND
today I applied updates and rebooted the ubuntu box, for the first time I
logged into this ubuntu host and encountered an error:

When I open Chrome, I'm presented with a Gnome dialog box prompting me for
my "login keyring" password which no longer matches my password that I used
to log into gnome. After clicking cancel at least three times, I am able to
use Chrome. The "solution" I have so far is to make a backup of
~/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring and delete that file, log out, and
log back in. This means I stop getting the dialog, but it also means I no
longer have the passwords that I had Chrome save for me.

My hope is that someone on this list can suggest a way to avoid losing my
passwords saved in Chrome the next time that I have to change my campus
kerberos password.

Thanks!

Regards,

Hiroky Lee

[1] Basically I did this:

sudo apt install krb5-user libpam-krb5 libpam-ccreds auth-client-config

and entered the kerberos realm, servers, etc. values when prompted. After
doing that, I created a local user with a name matching my campus username
and set a local password that was long pseudo-random garbage. When I log
in, auth falls through to kerberos, and if I have typed my campus password
correctly, I get in.