[TriLUG] Red Hat + IBM, good or bad?

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 29 10:34:33 EDT 2018

>I don't think they can retroactively claim code that's already been released under the GPL

Absolutely they cannot change existing GPL. What is out there is out there and only code going forward is at risk.

Great case is MySQL and MariaDB. Last GPL taken and started a new. Open Source Genie out of the bottle.

We agree it is not likely a huge issue. I too would jump to Debian if need be, actually I have spent quite a bit more time with them in the past few years anyway due to their dominance in the embedded world.

John Vaughters