[TriLUG] Red Hat + IBM, good or bad?

Roger W. Broseus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 29 11:33:42 EDT 2018

And, I have always been able to trust that Thinkpads would run Linux, outta
the box. Luckily, that has continued even after Lenovo took over Thinkpads
from IBM. I love my T-pad, a road warrior's trusty laptop (even tho I'm not a
warrior!).

Only problem I've had is one kernel version had a bug that "bricked" WiFi.
Some of the newest stuff is not Linux supported, e.g., fingerprint readers. I
understand this is due to firmware having been enciphered to thwart reverse
engineering of the fingerprint reader code.

--
Roger W. Broseus - Linux User
     Email: RogerB at bronord.com
     Web Site: www.bronord.com

On 10/28/18 10:39 PM, Israel J. Pattison via TriLUG wrote:
> IBM has been a long time contributor to the Linux kernel. IBM has copyright
> to more than fifty modules in the source tree, especially for s390 and ppc.
> The IBM Linux Technology Center in Beaverton, OR was one of the first
> corporate efforts to contribute to Linux.
>
> IBM is a platinum member of the Linux Foundation, dumping lots of dollars
> in to FOSS projects.
>
> IBM is a partner with RH in developing Istio, an open source orchestration
> layer for microservices.
>
> IBM software has run on RHEL since v.2.
>
> Employees in the 2000's who wanted to run a "Blue Linux" on their
> engineering desktops were given an IBM-branded version of RHEL.
>
> IBM, at great expense to the corporation, fought off a legal challenge from
> the Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) which with covert funding from Microsoft,
> attempted to destroy the Linux kernel by claiming that it infringed on UNIX
> copyrights. IBM drove SCO out of existence and saved Linux.
>
> IBM and RedHat have been business partners for many years, sharing many
> projects together.
>
> RH has been shopping itself around. Recent business rags have named Google,
> Facebook, Microsoft and others as potential suitors. Would you have
> preferred MS RedHat? RHEL by Google? FB Fedora?
>
> I think IBM will work out just fine, and the many Red Hatters and IBMers
> who are TriLUG members can keep us apprised of how things are going.
[snip]