[TriLUG] Red Hat + IBM, good or bad?

Sean Korb via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 30 14:12:22 EDT 2018

Sun's legacy is still in the top 500 (maybe top 10 by some standards)

The K computer comprises 88,128 2.0 GHz eight-core SPARC64 VIIIfx
processors contained in 864 cabinets, for a total of 705,024 cores,
manufactured by Fujitsu with 45 nm CMOS technology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_computer

On 10/30/18, John Vaughters via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>  >dad worked for IBM 1957-1987
>
> The good ole days when going to work for a quality company was a lifetime
> affair. My dad worked for Florida Power & Light a few weeks shy of 30 years.
> Sun Micro was the best processing for the buck back in the day.
> John Vaughters
>     On Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 12:05:09 PM EDT, Pete Soper via TriLUG
> <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>
>  With my first startup in the late 70s, the option price was 1.5X the
> book value of the stock (was still private and not traded in a market).
> With the second startup in the 80s I cleared about $160 for several
> thousand hours of extra work over a 9-5 job. With the third startup,
> bought by Sun, I paid off my first house but was too stupid to execute
> all the shares before the dot com bubble burst and the options were
> under water from that point on. Sun was on the down elevator from that
> point on, doubling down on innovation and development while setting a
> new high water mark for managerial incompetence. Since in late 2007 1/3
> of Sun's business was with big finance, the crash hit them right over
> the head and the layoffs accelerated as they started shopping the
> company and they shed me the following year (just a few days after Steve
> Goldman's unexpected death).
>
> Quick story: Sun came within a single weekend of being bought by IBM. My
> buddies at the local Sun office in Cary said it was a done deal on a
> Friday and it would be announced the following week. Rumor had it later
> that Schwartz pulled a bone head move with IBM over that weekend,  IBM
> called his bluff, the deal was off, and then Oracle came in and offered
> an extra dime a share. My ex-coworkers at the time were dazed and
> confused at the prospect of being absorbed by IBM before that weekend.
> Of course what came next made purchase by IBM look like a free ticket to
> Disneyland.
>
> -Pete (dad worked for IBM 1957-1987)
>
> On 10/30/18 11:25 AM, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 10/29/18 4:32 AM, Pete Soper wrote:

'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382