[TriLUG] why does usb card on PCIe bus need extra power to detect a disk?

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Dec 13 15:23:59 EST 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:

> I have a machine with only a usb 2.0 hub. To get some usb 3.0 ports, I bought
> a PCIe card with two external USB 3.0 ports (Orico PVU3-201IV1).

The webpage for the card said that with usb 3.0 I'd get 10x the speed of my usb
2.0 setup. This sounded great to me. However I didn't look critically at this
statement. Further looking found that a usb 3.0 hub operating on a PCIe bus gets
about 2x the speed of a usb 2.0 hub. If I want full usb 3.0 speeds, I need a hub
directly on the mobo. (I don't know what difference that makes. I assume the usb
3.0 hub on the mobo is still talking to the PCIe bus.)

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml