[TriLUG] Ideas for Replacing Home Office Workhorse Computer?

via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 4 14:21:02 EST 2019

As embarrassing as it is to admit it, I accidentally killed my Asus
laptop yesterday when trying to plug in the 3.5mm headphones and I think
I accidentally hit the power pin on a USB port instead.  Thing won't
even power up .... So here's what I did (today):

Went to Intrex and had them put together a generic system without an OS
(no Windows - I will put Linux on it).  Plain vanilla hardware, an ATX
power supply, with an250 GB SSD and 8 GB of memory with an I5 processor
(my compromise between cost and performance).  While a laptop is
convenient, I still believe you get more power per dollar in a tower
unit.  There isn't a component in there that is over $150 and should be
up-gradable or repairable for quite some time. They said it will be
built today, run diagnostics on it or about 24 hours and I can pick it
up tomorrow afternoon. Comes with a 1 year warranty.

I also supported the local brick and mortar store.

Now I just need to decide on which distribution to run.  May have to
look at a scratch build of Gentoo to customize it to the hardware.