[TriLUG] Ideas for Replacing Home Office Workhorse Computer?

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 4 16:10:02 EST 2019

I will take a look at the pin with a flashlight.  It would be nice to
get the machine going, at least temporarily if nothing else than to get
the data off the drive and get it wiped.

You're correct in that the host controller is required to detect an
overload condition and shut the port down. I am pretty certain this is
per USB specification. It should have been designed to take a full short
and have clamping diodes to keep it from causing a catastrophic failure.
 It's weird. I also agree that it shouldn't have caused a failure such
that it won't boot at all. It makes me think that a fuse may have been
popped somewhere.  Maybe I will investigate or take it in for a repair
sometime if I can't figure it out.