[TriLUG] Mechanical Keyboard Repair?

Ken Mink via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Jan 25 15:29:23 EST 2019

On 1/25/19 08:44, Scott Thomas via TriLUG wrote:
> I wanted to see if anyone has any experience in replacing a cherry mx switch in a mechanical keyboard. I have a Logitech G710+ that the '3' key on the main part of the keyboard had stopped working and I'm not the best with the soldering iron, and have never desoldered anything in my life. To make it even more complicated, is that the key has an added white LED.
> I haven't purchased a replacement switch yet, as I wanted to see if anyone had experience and would either be willing to do the repair for me, or assist me. I'd be willing to pay, of course, as the keyboard is quite pricey to replace.
> Scott

I had a CherryMX switch fail. I bought a handful of switches off EBay
and had attempted to do it myself. It sounds like my soldering skills
are on par with yours. I did a horrible job and ended up with having s
friend that was good with a soldering iron fix my fix.

Anyway, the switches themselves are cheap and there are just 3 solder
points to deal with. Any one with reasonable soldering skills can do it.

Ken