[TriLUG] Cyclades terminal server

Stephen P. Schaefer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Jan 26 22:09:04 EST 2019

In my experience, the initial public/private key negotiation takes about
15 secconds, but after that, it's faster than I can type/think (YMMV :-}).

Writes to internal storage are more EEPROM than SDRAM, and also rather slow.

The web GUI, especially after they were bought by Avocent, underwent
significant changes.  Web GUI users are distinct from OS users: if you
create a web GUI user, that is not sufficient for being able to do "ssh
user:7001 at cyclades01".  To configure extra users, I get a shell prompt
as root on the box, and edit /etc/passwd, but there may be other
mechanisms.  I've always used "ssh -i private_key root:7001 at cyclades01"
(the 1 in 7001 specifies the port); there may be permission problems to
overcome if using a non-root user.

If you create a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file, it will be honored (slowly,
with all the usual ssh file owner/mode caveats), but it won't be saved
as part of the configuration and will disappear at the next reboot,
unless the name of the file is included in the /etc/config_files file.

I've still got a few of these in "production" use, although they're
gradually being superseded by the virtual serial port in HP iLO.

    - Stephen