[TriLUG] VDI for home

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Feb 15 09:47:25 EST 2019

Greetings all,

I am looking to setup some sort of (free) VDI solution for home.  My main PC has lots of horsepower but runs a little too loud for my office.  I want to put the PC in a different room and run VDI or thinClient solution to host multiple desktops (combination of Linux, Windows, etc).  For my desktop, I am looking to get the Odriod H2 or Intel NUC (Bean Canyon) as my remote/thin client.  My house is hard wired for GigE, thus bandwidth should not be an issue.

I found the flexVDI solution (https://flexvdi.com), but it appears to have some limitations w/out a full license.  And, the support folks have not yet replied to my licensing questions.

Curious if anyone on the TriLUG mailer has done this before and can offer any hints.  My requirements are dual 4K displays with sound and USB capability.

Thanks.