[TriLUG] Distros...

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 20 11:26:03 EST 2019

I agree, a fun blast from the past.

I still remember attending a dinner and presentation with the talk
being given by one of my professors.  This would have been circa 1991.

The talk was on two topics. One a new technology that was being
developed, but did not yet exist, called USB.  It was described as a
future where we would plug all of our devices into a common chain.
Imagine plugging your monitor into the computer, your keyboard into the
monitor, and the mouse into the keyboard and it will all talk serially
(serial communications was considered SLOW in those days) on this
common bus.  Back then, it was inconceivable.

The second part of the talk was on this new thing called Linux.  Have
you heard the news?  This guy over in Finland developed this software
that will let you run Unix on an X86 processor.  The news was received
with both excitement and skepticism.

It's up there with the time I was having a conversation with my
(college apartment) landlord who was an engineer (I was an engineering
student) and we were floored when Intel came out with their clock speed
doubling technology that could run a 486 processor at a whopping 50
Mhz. 50 MHz, wow, that was unbelievable.