[TriLUG] Debugging webcams

Charles West via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 3 11:47:50 EDT 2019

Hello,

I'm having a bit of a strange problem with a USB webcam and I am not really
sure what to try next.  I'm working on a robot to deliver drinks on golf
courses and I'm using OpenCV to get the images from the webcam so that I
can process them.  The particular one I got is a special wide-angle module
with fairly low latency.

Retrieving images and processing works fine on my laptop (running 64 bit
Ubuntu 18.04) and I can access the camera normally with programs such as
GUVC.  However, when I port the camera/code over to the Nvidia Jetson Nano
it suddenly starts having issues.

GUVC crashes when I try to open it.
Cheese doesn't detect the device (despite it showing up as /dev/video0)
Opencv hangs when I try to capture a frame from it
VLC displays video from it flawlessly

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks,
Charlie West