[TriLUG] Question About NFS Client Access Config

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Apr 10 09:46:06 EDT 2019

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, Scott Chilcote via TriLUG wrote:

> The scan result is very specific that "At least one of the NFS shares
> exported by the remote server could be mounted by the scanning host."

the operative word here is COULD

the fact that that they didn't shows that it can't.

> That's a serious WTF finding, no?

that's serious scare mongering to show their client that they are doing a super
job of finding things that COULD go wrong.

Can you put an NFS client on the network somewhere equivalent to the scanner and
show that you can't mount a disk?

Then call the bluff on the scanners and ask them to mount a disk.

At that stage $MGMT will probably freak out. They have the choice of

o accepting that the scanners they're paying good $ to, to protect their asses,
are speaking BS

or

o being super cautious (we definitely shouldn't get out of bed in the mornings).

Be prepared to move the NFS to machines on the lan.

> We will likely get Redhat support involved.

They will have run into this before.

Even if you can't mount a disk from outside, you still aren't secure. nfsd is
still accepting packets on 2049/udp. Presumably someone will get in eventually.

Joe

jmack (at) wm7d (dot) net - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml